Pain Management/pain at bedtime

Question
  I have arthritis and during the night the pain and aches keep me awake.  
  I bought a cheap over the counter medicine called "Pain Relief PM" which is Acetaminophren 500mg and Diphenhydramine hci 25mg.  I took it for 5 days and I could sleep.  Then I stopped because I don't want to get addicted.  But now the pain is back and I can't sleep again.  Can you tell me if it is bad to take this on a regular basis or is it OK way to get some sleep?

Answer
Hi Don,
I'm so sorry about your chronic pain. I wonder if you are on anything else for arthritis, like a prescription drug? Anyway, you do not have to worry about becoming addicted to the OTC med you bought. The diphenhydramine is generic for Benadryl. You've probably heard of it. It is a mild antihistamine which also has been used for years for other purposes. It is actually a very good drug. It has even been researched for use in Parkinson's disease, but that's another subject. What I'm saying is that it is very safe, and if it helps you sleep then you could continue to use it. I advise this without knowing any other meds you may be on. Certainly acetaminophen is much safer on the stomach than the NSAIDs you have heard of which are actually better for arthritis, ibuprofen, Advil, etc. Doctors don't recommend them like they once did because they can cause stomach bleeding and ulcers if taken for long periods. There are some newer ones on the market now, however, that are gentler on the stomach; these are by prescription. They are nonaddictive, though. But, I don't think you should avoid the OTC med for fear of addiction because Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is a very safe drug. Please write back if you have further questions. I hope you feel better. Sleep well!

Pain Management

Patricia M