Pain Management/Caffeine for Menstrual Cramps?

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I had a question regarding caffeine and period cramps.

One of my friends swear that caffeine helps relieve cramps, and another says that you must not have caffeine while you are cramping, because it makes it worse.

In your opinion, does caffeine help or not with cramps? Has it ever been scientifically proven in either case?

Thanks for your time.

Dear Jane,

There's no consensus regarding caffeine in this context. However, Yonkers et al. mentioned caffeinated beaverages (2008 in Lancet) among factors precipitating menstrual syndrome. Also, caffein may be bad for these times due to its dehydrating effect causing mineral dysbalance.

In our practice, we are often getting very positive feedback regarding pain-reducing effect of mechanical tactile stimulation. Please take a look at There is some evidence that this effect is not limited to reducing pain sensation but also may influence the reason causing pain - e.g. muscle spasms.

Hope it helps,

Tanya Zilberter

Pain Management

Tatiana Zilberter

I'll do my best to answer any question, which can ease your pain. My stronger topics are:
- General pain mechanisms: explanatory answers
- Pain neuroscience you can use
- Pain management without drugs
- Alternative/holistic techniques
- Pain education for self help