Pain Management/Question about use of painkiller which way is best

I suffer from headaches. My doctor has given me painkiller codeine and the problem with codeine is my tolerance builds up very quickly. The first day i take it 400mg, it works fine but on the next day i have to increase the dose otherwise it will not have any effect and the third day i maximize it to highest dose and after that i don't get any effects from it unless i wait about a week. I have taken morphine and i got side effects from it which makes me itch all over my entire body. I have also tried Tramadol with not effect on my pain.

I want to know if there are any other medication which can relief pain like codeine so that i can take codeine for three days and take the other medicine in the meantime while wait for the codeine tolerance to go away?

According to what type of headache you have, there are lots of better options. Ibuprofen works really well, but takes about an hour to work. In the interim, Fioricet is a good option. It is good for tension headaches. You may be having a problem of "rebound headaches" from the codeine. That happens a lot with narcotics. But, I would suggest you first try either Excedrin Migraine (which is over the counter) or ask the dr for Fioricet, then see what happens.

Pain Management

Patricia M

I welcome questions from people who may want a "nurse's perspective" on the subject of chronic pain and pain management. I am a nurse, NOT a physician (MD).I can answer questions on medications, alternative approaches, and the various organs and body systems. There are many avenues to explore with chronic pain. I am against seeing patients suffer simply because healthcare professionals might suspect they are "drug seekers". There are methods of identifying true pain, and this makes patients feel as if they are taken seriously, which they should be.

Over 25 years working experience in Internal Medicine, Adult Cardiology, Post-Surgery care, Cancer, psychiatry and some experience as a lay-counselor in addictive medicine (dependence to alcohol and/or drugs, both legal and illegal drugs).

I am an Expert with AllExperts in several areas: Pharmacy, Internal Medicine, Medical Errors. Feel free to check my Q&A history as well as my ratings, which are very high.

Diploma from hospital-based nursing school. Additional courses in pharmacology. I keep current in continuing education. Am currently working as lay-counselor which can lead to my certification as Substance Abuse Counselor.

Dean's List while in college.

Internal medicine patients, cardiology patients recovering from heart disease and/or open-heart surgery, cancer, as well as recently working as a lay-counselor to individuals dealing with addiction to drugs and/or alcohol. NOTE: Just because I attempt to help patients with addictive diseases, I have over 25 years in Internal Medicine, have nursed patients with great deal of pain, and I am compassionate. I never label anyone as a "drug seeker". I have seen that done for years, and am against it. All patients should be evaluated for pain in a fair and comprehensive manner. Am an Expert with AllExperts in three other medical categories; feel free to check my ratings, which are high.