Pain Management/how to check them out

Is there any way to check the safety and effectiveness of treatment offered at a particular clinic?

I have a friend who has had severe back and leg pain for several years. Her doctor (MD) has diagnosed her with bone spurs. She gets an epidural every couple of weeks, with some relief but not a lot.

I have been seeing ads for the local office of a national chain of clinics that treats various conditions (including pinched nerve bulging/herniated disc, scoliosis, spinal stenosis, arthritis of the spine, sciatica and other chronic conditions)with what they call "minimally invasive laser surgery".

At each clinic they have a team of people including MDs, DOs, DC,
nurse practitioners and physical therapists. In their TV ads, they claim you can resume normal activities in a matter of days, as opposed to long recovery time for "traditional open back surgery". I have checked the credentials of the MDs at the local clinic here in town. Of about a dozen doctors, only 3 are licensed in our state.

I would recommend this place to my friend if I thought it would help. How can I find out if their treatments actually measure up to their claims>

Jo, there isn't much of a way of telling if these people are living up to their credentials, however it would be worth a phone call for your friend to check and see if her insurance is accepted. It never hurts to have a consultation and probably won't charge much for a consultation. That way they can tell her what is available. It seems to me to have an epidural every couple of weeks even every month or two seems to be awfully frequent. And keep in mind that the epidurals are not always completely safe, especially when they're done so frequently. There's always a chance that a small nerve can be damaged, and a person can have chronic pain from an epidural. It just seems to me that she's having too many epidurals and apparently they're not lasting long enough. I would strongly suggest that your friend at least call for a consultation appt. She doesn't have to have anything performed that day, just talk to a doctor and see what's available to her.

Pain Management

Patricia M

I welcome questions from people who may want a "nurse's perspective" on the subject of chronic pain and pain management. I am a nurse, NOT a physician (MD).I can answer questions on medications, alternative approaches, and the various organs and body systems. There are many avenues to explore with chronic pain. I am against seeing patients suffer simply because healthcare professionals might suspect they are "drug seekers". There are methods of identifying true pain, and this makes patients feel as if they are taken seriously, which they should be.

Over 25 years working experience in Internal Medicine, Adult Cardiology, Post-Surgery care, Cancer, psychiatry and some experience as a lay-counselor in addictive medicine (dependence to alcohol and/or drugs, both legal and illegal drugs).

I am an Expert with AllExperts in several areas: Pharmacy, Internal Medicine, Medical Errors. Feel free to check my Q&A history as well as my ratings, which are very high.

Diploma from hospital-based nursing school. Additional courses in pharmacology. I keep current in continuing education. Am currently working as lay-counselor which can lead to my certification as Substance Abuse Counselor.

Dean's List while in college.

Internal medicine patients, cardiology patients recovering from heart disease and/or open-heart surgery, cancer, as well as recently working as a lay-counselor to individuals dealing with addiction to drugs and/or alcohol. NOTE: Just because I attempt to help patients with addictive diseases, I have over 25 years in Internal Medicine, have nursed patients with great deal of pain, and I am compassionate. I never label anyone as a "drug seeker". I have seen that done for years, and am against it. All patients should be evaluated for pain in a fair and comprehensive manner. Am an Expert with AllExperts in three other medical categories; feel free to check my ratings, which are high.