Pain Management/Heel spur/plantar faciatis

I came down with plantar faciitis in the Fall, probably as a result of cheap runners on pavement. I had it once before in the same foot, and an ex-ray revealed a small heel spur.
I have used a night sock to eliminate morning stiffness, and three cortisone shots killed most of the pain. My doc says now I have to wait a few months to get another if I need it.
I can only walk for a few minutes and cant run , so its really affecting my ability to exercise.
I wanted to try acupuncture as it worked well for a knee meniscus tear, but the clinic I called recommended I start with shock wave therapy.
What do you think? Thanks for your thoughts!

Bud I think that any kind of alternative therapy would be fine to try for this as long as your insurance covers it or you can afford to pay for it. I'm not so sure what the shockwave therapy is, I think that's pretty much like ultrasound therapy which may very well work.I would like to see you get away from using these Cortisone shots every few months because all they are doing a suppressing the inflammation, so even if you have to see a podiatrist- foot surgeon, and possibly have the spur surgically ground down, personally I think that is superior to relying on these Cortisone shots every few months. I certainly do believe in many alternative therapies such as acupuncture ultrasound, heat, massage therapy etc. I wish you much luck. if I can help you further please let me know

Pain Management

Patricia M

I welcome questions from people who may want a "nurse's perspective" on the subject of chronic pain and pain management. I am a nurse, NOT a physician (MD).I can answer questions on medications, alternative approaches, and the various organs and body systems. There are many avenues to explore with chronic pain. I am against seeing patients suffer simply because healthcare professionals might suspect they are "drug seekers". There are methods of identifying true pain, and this makes patients feel as if they are taken seriously, which they should be.

Over 25 years working experience in Internal Medicine, Adult Cardiology, Post-Surgery care, Cancer, psychiatry and some experience as a lay-counselor in addictive medicine (dependence to alcohol and/or drugs, both legal and illegal drugs).

I am an Expert with AllExperts in several areas: Pharmacy, Internal Medicine, Medical Errors. Feel free to check my Q&A history as well as my ratings, which are very high.

Diploma from hospital-based nursing school. Additional courses in pharmacology. I keep current in continuing education. Am currently working as lay-counselor which can lead to my certification as Substance Abuse Counselor.

Dean's List while in college.

Internal medicine patients, cardiology patients recovering from heart disease and/or open-heart surgery, cancer, as well as recently working as a lay-counselor to individuals dealing with addiction to drugs and/or alcohol. NOTE: Just because I attempt to help patients with addictive diseases, I have over 25 years in Internal Medicine, have nursed patients with great deal of pain, and I am compassionate. I never label anyone as a "drug seeker". I have seen that done for years, and am against it. All patients should be evaluated for pain in a fair and comprehensive manner. Am an Expert with AllExperts in three other medical categories; feel free to check my ratings, which are high.