Pain Management/Chronic pain, weaning off meds

My husband is a chronic pain patient and had a spinal fusion last year from L4 to s1, previously fused from 22 years ago from t3 to l4. He has been on a huge dose of oxycontin plus percocet for breakthrough pain since. Because of law changes in other states for oxycontin, his pain specialist has had to start weaning him now. He was on 60mg three times a day, suddenly down to 40mg 3 to 4 times a day with no increase on the percocet. He is not supposed to take the 4th pill often or for long. Future months will also see consistant decreases, even though his pain level has not improved. Unfortunately,  he is going through some withdrawal symptoms now.

I am looking just for an outside opinion for suggestions on how to handle the situation.  I work while he is disabled, but we have 2 children he cares for while i am at work. I worry whether he can handle everything whike suffering from the withdrawal issues.

Any coping suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as well as things to discuss with his doctors.

Thank you!

I received your question, and I have been giving it some thought and a little research. I want to do a little more consulting with the pharmacist, and hope to have an answer for you by Friday. Please don't think that I was neglecting your question. Oftentimes I consult pharmacists  because they have a working knowledge of medications and side effects that doctors often do not have. I will get back to you within the next day.  

Pain Management

Patricia M

I welcome questions from people who may want a "nurse's perspective" on the subject of chronic pain and pain management. I am a nurse, NOT a physician (MD).I can answer questions on medications, alternative approaches, and the various organs and body systems. There are many avenues to explore with chronic pain. I am against seeing patients suffer simply because healthcare professionals might suspect they are "drug seekers". There are methods of identifying true pain, and this makes patients feel as if they are taken seriously, which they should be.

Over 25 years working experience in Internal Medicine, Adult Cardiology, Post-Surgery care, Cancer, psychiatry and some experience as a lay-counselor in addictive medicine (dependence to alcohol and/or drugs, both legal and illegal drugs).

I am an Expert with AllExperts in several areas: Pharmacy, Internal Medicine, Medical Errors. Feel free to check my Q&A history as well as my ratings, which are very high.

Diploma from hospital-based nursing school. Additional courses in pharmacology. I keep current in continuing education. Am currently working as lay-counselor which can lead to my certification as Substance Abuse Counselor.

Dean's List while in college.

Internal medicine patients, cardiology patients recovering from heart disease and/or open-heart surgery, cancer, as well as recently working as a lay-counselor to individuals dealing with addiction to drugs and/or alcohol. NOTE: Just because I attempt to help patients with addictive diseases, I have over 25 years in Internal Medicine, have nursed patients with great deal of pain, and I am compassionate. I never label anyone as a "drug seeker". I have seen that done for years, and am against it. All patients should be evaluated for pain in a fair and comprehensive manner. Am an Expert with AllExperts in three other medical categories; feel free to check my ratings, which are high.