Painting/Degas painting

Degas painting
Degas painting  
QUESTION: I've checked everywhere I can find on the internet but have still not been able to identify this painting. The signature at the bottom left is "degas". Do copies or reproductions include the artist's signature? There is nothing on the back of the painting that would identify it as a copy. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

ANSWER: Dear Brian,

Would you be so kind as to send me a close-up of the artist's signature.  I am fairly sure I know what you have but I need to see the signature before I make a statement of opinion.

Robert M. Vincent

Degas signature
Degas signature  
QUESTION: Thank you for your quick response! Attached is a close-up of the signature. I'm sorry the quality is not perfect. If you need a better picture please let me know. Thanks, Brian

Dear Brian,

Indeed you do have a Degas Painting but it is my opinion that your "Degas" Painting was not done by Edgar Degas; the famed impressionistic painter.

I would truly love to tell you otherwise but there are several things that have lead me to my decision.  These include:  The signature on your painting is not that of Edgar Degas.  While his signature did deviate "a bit" during his career, it never looked like the signature on your painting.  The style and in particular, the placement of paint and brushstroke work on your painting is not that of Edgar Degas.

I truly wish I had better news but this is my expert opinion.  If I can be of further assistance, let me know.

Robert M. Vincent

Robert M. Vincent

Past/Present clients include several galleries and specialty retail shops in Louisiana, Texas, and Florida. Also, several commissions in Watercolor, Oil Paintings, Glass & Tile Mosiac, Charcoal, and Metal Sculpture from large corporations to private collectors.