Painting/Help finding a way to identify an artist

Question
Painting
Painting  

Signature
Signature  
This painting has been in my family as long as I can remember.  No idea where it came from.  It is in need of cleaning.  It is very dark and the signature is very hard to see/identify.  There is a date after the signature that looks like 1889.  I can't even decipher the first letter of the signature.  Can you tell me anything at all that would help my search for some kind of information about this painting?  Or possibly where I could take it to get more information?

Answer
Dear Markay,

I highly recommend that you take this family heirloom to a well known and trusted conservator to have your painting cleaned.  I think you will be amazed at the details that will appear upon the completion of cleaning.  I cannot begin to identify the artist's signature now but I am confident that once cleaned, you will have your mystery solved.  Heirlooms of family history like this are rare and if you wait to long, it may be too late to fully restore your painting.  Good luck and I would love to see a picture of your painting once it has be restored.

Sincerely,

Robert M. Vincent

Painting

Robert M. Vincent

Past/Present clients include several galleries and specialty retail shops in Louisiana, Texas, and Florida. Also, several commissions in Watercolor, Oil Paintings, Glass & Tile Mosiac, Charcoal, and Metal Sculpture from large corporations to private collectors.