Painting/Odd painting on paper of baby and a bird

QUESTION: Hi, i was wondering if the painting is done by an amateur or by a professional artist. It looks weird to me with that ugly baby and the bird. Maybe there is some kind of symbolism. The art is not signed( i checked the back also) so i doubt it was done by a famous artist. Do you think i should check with a gallery and try to appraise it or i should not expect to get a lot of money for it? Also, is that oil or acrylic paint? Thanks in advanced!

ANSWER: Dear Georgi,

Wow, what an ugly baby!  I think that despite the baby and the absurd presence of the bird, your painting was done by a professional artist.  As well, I think that the artist intended for there to be symbolism in his or her subject matter.  What does it mean?  I think that I would have a better chance of giving you the winning lottery numbers.

As I am sure you have noticed, the elbows are anatomically incorrect but I don't think that was important to the artist.  I cannot give you a good reason as to why there is no signature other than it was done as a study for a later painting.  As far as an appraisal value, I'm sorry but I do not do online appraisals.  Furthermore, I would have to look at the painting to determine the medium of oil or acrylic.  However, it does "appear" to be oil based upon the photo.

Robert M. Vincent

QUESTION: Thanks for your reply. I know you dont do appraisals but i am curious if the painting deserve to be appraised? I see it this way - recent, not signed, probably not famous artist, different/odd depiction. So i guess the value of the piece will depend on if someone likes it and how much one is willing to pay. Are there any cases when a painting from unknown, recent artist to be sold for a lot? Someone suggested that there is something Asian in the scene?  Thanks in advance!

Dear Georgi,

There is something about your painting and I am not entirely sure what it is but I do think that you should have it appraised.  As I mentioned before, I cannot give you a good reason for the painting to not have a signature.  However, I have a suspicion that you just may be pleasantly surprised by the appraisal value.  I wish you all the best!

Robert M. Vincent

Robert M. Vincent

Past/Present clients include several galleries and specialty retail shops in Louisiana, Texas, and Florida. Also, several commissions in Watercolor, Oil Paintings, Glass & Tile Mosiac, Charcoal, and Metal Sculpture from large corporations to private collectors.