Painting/Help with canvas painting

Question
Hand canvas
Hand canvas  
Hi Josef,

I'm hoping you can help me.

I am looking to re-create the painting/artwork in the below link.

I got a black and white image printed on canvas, and then brushed a light layer of acrylic paint over it. It is not looking very good.

The color turned out splotchy and uneven in addition, it has a matte finish. Do you have any tips to help me achieve the right look?

Do I need to prime the canvas? Should I water the paint down? Is acrylic the wrong type of paint to use?

I would really appreciate any tips you can give me.

thanks,

Tara

http://blog.bestitalianleather.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Ivanka-Trump.jpeg

Answer
Hi Tara,

Thanks for your inquiry, first the whole image (Room and all) is probably created on a 3D program and is not real,  second the image I assume is the hand with purple background your trying to replicate.  If it was not created on Photoshop, which I think it was or a similar program you would need to paint in the purple and and not just put a wash over it, also depending on how the print was done photographic, or digital it may have a surface that water will not stick to well (Acrylic paint).

I would try to paint the purple in the background and hand then touch it up with B&W shades where needed. I would use oil paint, since the acrylic is not laying on the surface right.

I hope this helps you a somewhat.

Regards

Josef-Peter Roemer
www.josefpeterroemer.com

Painting

Josef-Peter Roemer