Painting & Wallpapering/removing latex paint applied over oil paint

We recently bought a house that the previous owner "freshened up" by painting over all the moldings (originally done in oil based paint) with a quick, slap-dash coat of latex paint.  The obvious results:  paint chips are flying off the moldings.  We really need to fix this problem, and would like to attempt it ourselves because our budget just won't stretch to hiring a professional.  I know I should sand down the latex, but would like to keep the rooms as dust free as possible.  
Is there a small "mouse" or detail sander that has a vacuum attachment?  Some of the moldings are multi-layered profiles - not really intricate, just stacked.
Thanks for your suggestions.

You could buy or rent a Hep filter system that painters use when sanding;that would cut down on dust! They have vacuum type sanders at Home Depot for a reasonable price.

I would do a test area first. Pick the worst area and try to see what works and what doesn't work. Paint it with what you are going to use, let it dry and see the results before investing any money and time. Sometime with the old wood it looks bad no matter what.
Good luck to you!

Painting & Wallpapering

Laura Mesich

1. Owner of Affordable Luxury Paintng and Remodeling We do Painting interior and exterior, Decorating, Remodeling Suggestions, how to repair things, how to fix things, Where and how to get discounts on items

I have been in the industry for the last 15 years serving in various positions. Sales, Administrator, painter, faux artist, design department. I have also worked for Altimate Painting as administrator.

Painting and Decorating association Better Business burea Plainfield IL chamber New Lenox IL chamber Former President elect of the Interior Design club Joliet Collage

Former all Expert, expert. blog spot Word Press Burbs on a Budget

I have owned Affordable Luxury Painting and Remodeling for the last 15 years. I write a colum for a local newsletter, I have a degree in Marketing, communication and Interior Design. I am a former Realtor and Loan Officer.

Graduated Magna Cum Lade National Honor society

Hawthorn Credit Union Heritage Pizza Baci Italian Resturant Pionner bank