Painting & Wallpapering/Unpaintable caulk

I have repainted a bathroom, but the area around the counter top is streaky and blotchy, etc. I have been told the caulk used was probably "unpaintable". What can be done now to correct/improve the finish?

The only unpaintable caulk that I am aware of is silicone based and that unfortunately is unpaintable, and much as you will not want to hear, would have to be removed.  In a bathroom you wouldn't really want acrylic paintable caulk as it will not have the flexibility or durability of silicone sealer. So I am afraid the only solution I can suggest is that you remove the sealant that is damaged and finish any painting you are doing, then apply the silicone sealant as a finishing edge, you can obtain different colours to enhance the finish.

Hope this helps.

Painting & Wallpapering

Tony Gallagher

I can answer questions on all interior and exterior painted surfaces. Ranging from new plaster and woodwork to galvanised metal, rusty metal to exterior render stucco, All external timbers from solid oak to tannalised fencing. I have specialist knowledge on Flame Retardent products for Combustiable and Non Combustiable surfaces. Although some product knowledge of Car finishing I do not feel I have enough experience in that field to be able to offer knowledgable solutions.Colour queries are welcome but I have not got a design background and can only answer semi technical questions with regard to colour.

Fourty years selling decorative products on behalf of major manufacturers such as Permoglaze,Crown,Macphersons,Johnstones, Leyland,Sikkens & Sadolin. More recently in a merchant capacity I have been involved with Dulux, Farrow & Ball and Fired Earth products. I have recently commenced training in enviromentally friendly product ranges, such as vegatable oil paints and varnish.

PDA (Assoiciate Member)

H N C Business Management. Several In House achievement certificates for product training.

Ford Motor Company. Nissan, MOD, Home Office, The University of Sheffield, Local Goverment.