Painting & Wallpapering/painting steel barbell weights

Question
I have a bunch of steel barbell weights that I bought used. They are a few different colors and have a large amount of rust on them. I have free access to a sandblaster so cleaning them up is easy.

The weights will be kept in a dry basement and I am not too picky about the final appearance. My main concern is that the paint doesn't chip off or peel real easy.

Do I have to do a separate prime first or can I paint directly on the sandblasted surface with a paint like Tremclad or something like that. I read the label on the "high heat" Tremclad and it stated that priming is not recommended.

All I want is a durable finish that will all be the same color. I was thinking of painting them flat black.

Any and all advice is welcomed!

Thank you.

Answer
Ian

Sorry for the delay but I was trying to establish if the product I can reccomend is available in Canada, and I think regulations on solvents will mean that it is not.

However I will give you a recommendation that I would do for the UK and see if you can get anything similar.

There is a product called Manor Hi Build Semi Vinyl Matt in Black, but available to order in any RAL or BS4800 colour and only made in 5lts at around 70 sterling per 5lt.

This product is anti corrosive does not need a primer dries in twenty minutes and gives a soft sheen finish that looks like powder coating after two coats.   The down side is that it is xylene based and I know some countries have restricted access to such products.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Tony.

Painting & Wallpapering

Tony Gallagher