Painting & Wallpapering/Grain filler (re: cabinets)

Hi Tony -

Well, I've been all over trying to find a definitive answer to our problem: We have those 1980s style oak Merillat cabinets (kitchen and bathrooms).  We're going to paint the bathroom cabinets white and want to reduce the wood grain from appearing as much as (reasonably) possible.  I've heard many opinions on which products to use, but would prefer to hear from a professional painter (paint store and Home Depot employees weren't much help).  I realize you're located in England so some of our products won't match.

We plan to sand, clean, apply some grain filler, sand (and wipe down)again, then apply primer and paint (2-3 coats).  What is your advice on this project?  Thanks very much in advance, Tony, for your help.

Sometimes there is no 'miracle' answer and I am afraid this is one.

However you seem as though the prep work you suggest is as thorough as I would hope for.

My only suggestion would be to apply a thixotropc material (Non Drip) and apply with a mohair roller with minimum working.

Good luck !!!!!

Painting & Wallpapering

Tony Gallagher

I can answer questions on all interior and exterior painted surfaces. Ranging from new plaster and woodwork to galvanised metal, rusty metal to exterior render stucco, All external timbers from solid oak to tannalised fencing. I have specialist knowledge on Flame Retardent products for Combustiable and Non Combustiable surfaces. Although some product knowledge of Car finishing I do not feel I have enough experience in that field to be able to offer knowledgable solutions.Colour queries are welcome but I have not got a design background and can only answer semi technical questions with regard to colour.

Fourty years selling decorative products on behalf of major manufacturers such as Permoglaze,Crown,Macphersons,Johnstones, Leyland,Sikkens & Sadolin. More recently in a merchant capacity I have been involved with Dulux, Farrow & Ball and Fired Earth products. I have recently commenced training in enviromentally friendly product ranges, such as vegatable oil paints and varnish.

PDA (Assoiciate Member)

H N C Business Management. Several In House achievement certificates for product training.

Ford Motor Company. Nissan, MOD, Home Office, The University of Sheffield, Local Goverment.