Painting & Wallpapering/Paint Colors to Match Stain

Bathroom Inspiration
Bathroom Inspiration  

Shower Curtain
Shower Curtain  
I am buliding a new bathroom and i have decided to use the popular coral/orange and teal combination as my pallette.  My sink top is white and i have a honey oak vanity that i need to paint.  I would like to have horizontal bead board in the bathroom on the bottom half of the wall but i do not want white.  that is what i currently have and i cannot keep it clean with 3 dogs and a welder in the house.  I gues my question is how do i incorporate the two paint colors into the room and how should i paint the beadboard and vanity to complement them.  I am pretty eclectic and open to a variety of ideas.  I will also be tiling around the bathtub- again no white and the floor will either be ceramic tile or acid stained concrete- i woudl also like suggestions on these.  I will attach some of my inspirational images.  Any advice welcomed!

HI Kristen,
try this: beadboard a red but not as bright as what is on the shirt...a deeper version of that kind of color, think 'pomegranate.' Semigloss.
Acid stained floor - darker rusty color
Vanity - maybe same color and paint type as beadboard especially if the room is small, otherwise it would be too patchwork-y

See if you can fill some of the grain on the oak cabinet before painting.
If you have a horizontal piece that tops the beadboard you can try the teal, as a stripe around the room.
Shower area tiles keep a neutral type but even a deep color similar to the floor.

That would be pretty dramatic. NO GUARANTEES!!!

Painting & Wallpapering

Barbara Jacobs

I am able to answer questions about paint color and wall covering selection (interior and exterior, but in this category it's interior)and, in many cases, decorative ("faux") finishing for many types of surfaces. I can also answer some paint product and application questions but am primarily consulting about paint colors.I can also answer questions about Full Spectrum paints.

My experience as a color consultant is broad and includes a wide variety of color issues. Since 1984, I've been helping clients their very best environments using color as the foundation. My experience includes over 20 years in the field of creating and installing fine decorative finishes, and specifying paint colors.

IACC: International Association of Color Consultants/Designers: member since 1996, accredited since 2000. Historic District Commission: Medfield, Massachusetts

Journal of Architectural Coatings (magazine article, print) Design& - blog for this site (current) 2005 – 2008 2005 Boston Women’s Business Jrnl. Subject of interviews and participation in interviews for other publications. Current: my own blog at

Academia di Belle Arti: Florence, Italy BA: University of Minnesota: focus: painting and printmaking University of California, Berkelely: painting department IACC: International Association of Color Consultants/Designers: Accredited member since 2000

IACC: international exhibit included four of my color design projects: 2010

Private clients. I prefer not to include names here, but many testimonials are available for viewing at my web site at the "testimonials" page.