Painting & Wallpapering/Painting dining room

Question
Hi Barbara,
When I originally moved into my colonial home, my decorator told me to paint the house linen white (Benjamin Moore) and the trims and ceiling white.  I have naturally stained oak wood floors.  My living room has a brown/black lacquered breakfront.  I have a glass coffee table and several dark brown side tables.  My couch and chairs are burgundy/dark green/dark goldish yellow.  I have an off white area rug and two small multi colored oriental rugs.  The room has a northern exposure so it is dark and I would like it to appear brighter.
I find the linen white to be boring and I would like to paint it a little deeper color.  What is your opinion?  Can you suggest a color - I will be using Behr paint.
Thank you.

Answer
HI Jackie,
yes the Linen White is as you perceived. Even a Full Spectrum color in a similar lightness is not boring. BUT: yes please try something richer. Maybe even something in Behr (since that is your product of choice) like "Malt," or "Lilac Tan,"  'Hazelnut Cream," or "Sandstone Cliff." It will depend on the other colors of the room and furniture, of course, which would work best.

Test them first. I recommend using Small Wall: www.mysmallwall.com

If you really want the room brighter try adding some LED lighting.

Best,
Barbara

Painting & Wallpapering

Barbara Jacobs