Painting & Wallpapering/Exterior latex

I have some exterior latex paint, and like the color. I'd like to use it on our basement walls (paneling over cement block) There is already a coat of paint on the paneling from a few years ago for the is a finished, dry basement.

Is there any reason I shouldn't use the exterior paint on the basement walls?

Thank you

HI Ronda, thanks for asking this important question as I bet it's something that crosses the minds of many people.
Basically I'd say NO do not use exterior paint in an interior space. Something to do with the formulations and differences in chemicals makes it inadvisable to use exterior products inside the home.

Of course, you can do whatever you like, but my recommendation would be to Not use it inside, especially without asking the paint store or manufacturer's service rep about that issue.

That is my short answer and I really have no other info. There might be something in the fine print on the paint label about this also. You might also do a Google search for some opinions, I imagine there will be many answers to this question.

Painting & Wallpapering

Barbara Jacobs

I am able to answer questions about paint color and wall covering selection (interior and exterior, but in this category it's interior)and, in many cases, decorative ("faux") finishing for many types of surfaces. I can also answer some paint product and application questions but am primarily consulting about paint colors.I can also answer questions about Full Spectrum paints.

My experience as a color consultant is broad and includes a wide variety of color issues. Since 1984, I've been helping clients their very best environments using color as the foundation. My experience includes over 20 years in the field of creating and installing fine decorative finishes, and specifying paint colors.

IACC: International Association of Color Consultants/Designers: member since 1996, accredited since 2000. Historic District Commission: Medfield, Massachusetts

Journal of Architectural Coatings (magazine article, print) Design& - blog for this site (current) 2005 – 2008 2005 Boston Women’s Business Jrnl. Subject of interviews and participation in interviews for other publications. Current: my own blog at

Academia di Belle Arti: Florence, Italy BA: University of Minnesota: focus: painting and printmaking University of California, Berkelely: painting department IACC: International Association of Color Consultants/Designers: Accredited member since 2000

IACC: international exhibit included four of my color design projects: 2010

Private clients. I prefer not to include names here, but many testimonials are available for viewing at my web site at the "testimonials" page.