Painting & Wallpapering/painting concrete foundation

Hi Joe,
I am preparing to paint my poured concrete foundation.  The foundation was treated with a hot tar application with some of the tar applied above grade.  I have been able to remove a great majority with a pressure washer, however there is a significant portion that could not be removed.  I am looking for a primer, or sealer or other application I can use over these areas so that the paint will bond.  Is there a solution or a paint that will cover the residual tar'ed areas?

thanks in advance,

There is a product from Zinsser called Smart Prime that I've had good feedback on. You can probably find it at The Home Depot or a local paint store. I have not used this product but like I said the feedback has been good, seals tar from bleeding and allows moisture to pass through.

Painting & Wallpapering

Joseph Dutra

Specializing in problem solving paint issues with new construction and restorative coatings. I am familiar with most brands and also specialty products.

I started painting in 1979 followed by forming my own company in 1983. I have been working with both residential and commercial projects and enjoy both. Recently (4 years ago) I opened a shop in Pacific Grove, specializing in cabinet, door, and window finishes for new construction.

High school diploma