Painting & Wallpapering/peeling paint on textured bathroom ceiling

I'm quite sure the paint is peeling because the bathroom hasn't been painted in awhile and the humidity/steam from showers caused it.  I don't see any stains and it's very hot and dry where I live in Southern CA so maybe I'm lucky there.  I tried an electric sander but it's many little flakes and they're not coming off.  Tried scraping with a plastic putty knife too with no luck.  My last idea is a wire bristle brush?  Am I on the right track?  Should I go ahead and spray a stain blocking primer?  How long does sealed paint last?  Thanks for your help.

I'm not sure what type of texture you have, drywall or thinwall plaster. My guess is that it's the first one considering it Southern California. I would run a metal broad knife over the entire surface to knock off loose flakes. I would then oil prime with perhaps some mildewcide added to primer, then re-texture and paint. All paints that I know harden more than the texture underneath. By scraping, sanding, etc. you will damage the texture and make it look worse than the peeling paint. I know it sounds like a lot of work but in the end it will look like new and shoouldn't take much time considering it's a bathroom. Good luck!

Painting & Wallpapering

Joseph Dutra

Specializing in problem solving paint issues with new construction and restorative coatings. I am familiar with most brands and also specialty products.

I started painting in 1979 followed by forming my own company in 1983. I have been working with both residential and commercial projects and enjoy both. Recently (4 years ago) I opened a shop in Pacific Grove, specializing in cabinet, door, and window finishes for new construction.

High school diploma