Painting & Wallpapering/Borders and stencils

Question
Hi Barbara,

Years ago I put up a decorative border around the top of the walls in my kitchen.  I want to paint the kitchen a different color now and remove the border.  I was wondering if using borders or stencils along the top of the walls is outdated. Is there something else that is being done instead?  Thank you for your response.

Laura

Answer
HI Laura,
I'd say it is outdated. Popular in 70's into 90's
If you like the idea of something along those lines, consider a wider kind of border, a "frieze' maybe around 10" deep (tall) that would be at eye-level, not at the top of the room.

THat is just something I'd recommend personally if you want such; not that it is 'popular' or a trend or anything like that.

What the design would be really depends on a lot - serious, whimsical, just bright colors graphics, text, artistic, sophisticated,...a lot of things.
What I would NOT recommend is just using a wallpaper for that item unless it really adds something to the design of the space.

Otherwise, just stick to your straight paint floor to ceiling, makes the room look larger and less visually disrupted anyway.

Cheers,
Barbara

Painting & Wallpapering

Barbara Jacobs