Painting & Wallpapering/Painting Exterior fiberglass door

Hi Joe:

My question: I have a new in the box pre-hung Fiberglass Oval Glass door and I need to prime it  and paint it. I want to know if it will be okay to remove it from the frame and to what I need to do that way.?

Also, it will a different color on both sides. Where to I stop the color on the edges?

Thanks for your input

Yes you can remove it from the frame after it is hung. The way to do that is either pop the hinge pins out by tapping them upwards with a nail set from underneath or an old chisel held under the head of the pin. You can also use a screw gun and unscrew the hinge plates from the jamb. The break off for color would be the hinge edge and exterior the same color and the interior color on the strike/knob edge.

Painting & Wallpapering

Joseph Dutra

Specializing in problem solving paint issues with new construction and restorative coatings. I am familiar with most brands and also specialty products.

I started painting in 1979 followed by forming my own company in 1983. I have been working with both residential and commercial projects and enjoy both. Recently (4 years ago) I opened a shop in Pacific Grove, specializing in cabinet, door, and window finishes for new construction.

High school diploma