Painting & Wallpapering/Wall paint color

Room layout
Room layout  
Hello Barbara,

We are having such a tough time picking out a wall color and possible accent wall for our family/TV room. The room was completely redone. We also plan to change the carpet. We are having trouble finding a good color to go with our cognac colored leather couches. The colors we have chosen so far make the room look too bright and peachy. My mother also doesn't want to use any greens or blues if possible.  I have attached a picture of the couch and a layout of the room. Can you recommend a color pattern or specific color(either from benjamin Moore or behr) and choice of an accent wall( we are thinking tv or possibly the outside wall with sliding glass doors.)

Thank you!

HI John, thanks for asking for help but frankly your question is not something I am comfortable answering in this format. I just recommend that you try some colors that are not really bright, not too saturated, more in the 'earthy range mid-tones and please test them on various walls using something like the "small wall" boards ( you can get them through Sherwin Williams, amazon, or maybe ace hardware.
Try different colors on different walls, so get a bunch of the testing boards.
DO NOT paint directly on the wall it just makes things too confusing.

I know that is not what you wanted to hear but it's the best I can do at this time. Feel free to pose the question to other experts as well.

Painting & Wallpapering

Barbara Jacobs

I am able to answer questions about paint color and wall covering selection (interior and exterior, but in this category it's interior)and, in many cases, decorative ("faux") finishing for many types of surfaces. I can also answer some paint product and application questions but am primarily consulting about paint colors.I can also answer questions about Full Spectrum paints.

My experience as a color consultant is broad and includes a wide variety of color issues. Since 1984, I've been helping clients their very best environments using color as the foundation. My experience includes over 20 years in the field of creating and installing fine decorative finishes, and specifying paint colors.

IACC: International Association of Color Consultants/Designers: member since 1996, accredited since 2000. Historic District Commission: Medfield, Massachusetts

Journal of Architectural Coatings (magazine article, print) Design& - blog for this site (current) 2005 – 2008 2005 Boston Women’s Business Jrnl. Subject of interviews and participation in interviews for other publications. Current: my own blog at

Academia di Belle Arti: Florence, Italy BA: University of Minnesota: focus: painting and printmaking University of California, Berkelely: painting department IACC: International Association of Color Consultants/Designers: Accredited member since 2000

IACC: international exhibit included four of my color design projects: 2010

Private clients. I prefer not to include names here, but many testimonials are available for viewing at my web site at the "testimonials" page.