Painting & Wallpapering/Knotty pine bleedthrough

We renovated our bathroom, the walls of which were originally covered in knotty pine. Big mistake. Even though we used the latest and greatest Sherwin-Williams super-dooper primer claiming to cover everything, we are now getting bleedthrough in all the knots! It has continued and worsened for the past two years. This is after two coats of enamel over the very expensive primer. How can we treat this problem? It is very ugly!

You can use Bin's White Shellac. Make sure you stir it well and open any windows you have in the bathroom including fan. Apply 1-2 coats on knots only with a disposable brush and then repaint or brush the boards edge to edge. Follow the directions on dry time but I believe 2 hours should do.

Painting & Wallpapering

Joseph Dutra

Specializing in problem solving paint issues with new construction and restorative coatings. I am familiar with most brands and also specialty products.

I started painting in 1979 followed by forming my own company in 1983. I have been working with both residential and commercial projects and enjoy both. Recently (4 years ago) I opened a shop in Pacific Grove, specializing in cabinet, door, and window finishes for new construction.

High school diploma