Painting & Wallpapering/Poor interior paint coverage

Good morning and thanks for sharing your expertise!
I am painting an interior room in our house that was painted before with a white paint. Two walls will be painted charcoal gray and two walls deep, coppery orange (Burnt Sienna). The first coat of gray covered very well and the second coat will complete the job, but the orange is the problem. The first coat was acrylic latex with no primer added and the result looked as if it had been watered down with a translucent mottled look. The paint was straight from the can and was a well known and respected brand from a paint store. The second coat was acrylic latex high quality paint from a department store, again no primer, and I achieved slightly better coverage with darker streaks where the roller strokes overlapped.(I have used this brand of paint before with excellent results)
The third coat was with acrylic latex, with a primer added and the results were the same as the second coat, fairly good coverage with darker streaks where the roller overlapped.
I don't know if a fourth or fifth coat will be any better and this is getting to be expensive.
Is it the color orange that is the problem?
Is it something I am doing wrong? (I have painted a lot of walls and never results like this#
Tim (the husband)

Right now, in my opinion, get a good quality latex primer that is tinted to the Burnt Sienna color.
Let it dry for at least 4 hours or to manufacturers instructions. Then apply 2 coats of Burnt Sienna top coat, waiting about 2 hours between the coats. Make sure there is circulation and not alot of humidity in the room.  A humid room takes longer for paint to dry.   That should do it..

Painting & Wallpapering

Ed Kuchar

I've been a wallpaperhanger for 40 years. I've been a house painter (interior and exterior) for 38 years. I also do wallpaper removing and wall patching and light skim coating. I can answer any questions concerning: patching and wall preparation for painting or wallpaper, different types of paint, or wallpaper, what type to use for your job. questions about wallpaperhanging & painting how to measure an area for paint or wallpaper. questions concerning different types of wallpaper general questions on how to hang wallpaper (what type of paste, tools, etc.

I have my own wallpapering and painting business. Blue Sky Paperhanging & Painting Inc. I've been doing paperhanging & painting for 30 years. Most of my experience is in residential and not commercial.

Better Business Bureau.

I did the wallpaperhanging on the movie set "My Own Private Idaho" 1991.

I learned how to hang wall paper and wallcoverings at the West Valley Occupational School in Van Nuys California in 1978.