Painting & Wallpapering/painting

I was using a steamer to remove a wallpaper border and I saw a peeling paint spot on the surface. Well, I pulled on it and 2 layers of paint peeled off leaving bare sheetrock. Now I have a strip about 8 inches wide of bare sheetrock at the top of my wall. I think the original paint may have been oil-based and I know I used latex on the second coat. When the paint peeled off it had a rubbery appearance. What do I do now?

Since the paint that peeled off had a rubbery appearance it was a latex paint. To me it sounds like they did not prime the sheetrock before they hung the paper, they just used latex paint as a primer.
I's suggest using a latex primer/sealer. on that 8" band around the room. If there are any spots that need to be patched after the primer, then patch and sand those spots and prime them.You could then either paint (2 coats) or hang wallpaper.  

Painting & Wallpapering

Ed Kuchar

I've been a wallpaperhanger for 40 years. I've been a house painter (interior and exterior) for 38 years. I also do wallpaper removing and wall patching and light skim coating. I can answer any questions concerning: patching and wall preparation for painting or wallpaper, different types of paint, or wallpaper, what type to use for your job. questions about wallpaperhanging & painting how to measure an area for paint or wallpaper. questions concerning different types of wallpaper general questions on how to hang wallpaper (what type of paste, tools, etc.

I have my own wallpapering and painting business. Blue Sky Paperhanging & Painting Inc. I've been doing paperhanging & painting for 30 years. Most of my experience is in residential and not commercial.

Better Business Bureau.

I did the wallpaperhanging on the movie set "My Own Private Idaho" 1991.

I learned how to hang wall paper and wallcoverings at the West Valley Occupational School in Van Nuys California in 1978.