Painting & Wallpapering/painting

Question
Hi, the paint on my mom's house is pealing. We can't afford to get the whole house painted, so what I was going to do is just scrape off the old paint and repaint it with a paint and primer in one. We had someone at our house who says he knows about painting and if I do that it will cause more harm than good. He said it will just peal right off. He touched the spot I scraped and white dust came off on his hand. He said I had to pressure clean it first to get off the white stuff. Is he right or can I just do what I had planed and scrap off the old paint and just paint the scraped off places?"

Answer
You can probably get away with a surface conditioner first and then paint. A surface conditioner is simular to a primer but thinner, it will penetrate the chalky surface and bond to what's underneath. In a perfect world you would want to prime after the surface conditioner then paint. Paint and primer's in one I'm not sure about but it'll probably be OK.

Painting & Wallpapering

Joseph Dutra