Painting & Wallpapering/Acrylic Coat on Distemper

I want to know acrylic coating.
I am managing paint on false ceiling(in Pakistan) a person told me that when you had colored it completely, apply acrylic to the ceiling. I had applied distemper on ceiling and some metal paint how useful it is to apply acrylic coat in last on the ceiling.

I would leave your ceiling without the acrylic top coat.  Here is why I say this, if your distemper coating is a traditional type (glue,pigment) the acrylic may loosen it, if it is a modern type then it uses an acrylic resin to hold the pigment so it's already sealed. The same is true for the metal finish, it is either metal particles in acrylic or raw particles that might discolor with an acrylic top coat. I hope this makes sense but a ceiling that doesn't get touched requires no top coat unless you would like to add a sheen.  If so I would test an area where it is less noticeable before commiting.  

Painting & Wallpapering

Joseph Dutra

Specializing in problem solving paint issues with new construction and restorative coatings. I am familiar with most brands and also specialty products.

I started painting in 1979 followed by forming my own company in 1983. I have been working with both residential and commercial projects and enjoy both. Recently (4 years ago) I opened a shop in Pacific Grove, specializing in cabinet, door, and window finishes for new construction.

High school diploma