Painting & Wallpapering/Moisture in wall

It is on the first floor of my house whose walls are permanently showing moisture. Paint dealer told me to use charcoal on the exterior to get solved. What you suggest about it.

Locating source of moisture is paramount.
There are plenty of products to deal with stains and marks left by damp, but no paint products can successfully cure MOISTURE ingress.
I would need to know the substrate material, also if there is any cavity and your best assessment as to how the walls are retaining moisture.

I have never come across the use of charcoal for curing damp, as I would have thought that material was as absorbent or more so than render or brick.

In the UK we use products such as Thompsons Water Seal to coat degenerated brickwork that may be allowing moisture to pass through to plaster.

Please let me know the answers to my questions and I will give you the best advice I am able to without seeing the problem for myself.

Hope this helps.

Painting & Wallpapering

Tony Gallagher

I can answer questions on all interior and exterior painted surfaces. Ranging from new plaster and woodwork to galvanised metal, rusty metal to exterior render stucco, All external timbers from solid oak to tannalised fencing. I have specialist knowledge on Flame Retardent products for Combustiable and Non Combustiable surfaces. Although some product knowledge of Car finishing I do not feel I have enough experience in that field to be able to offer knowledgable solutions.Colour queries are welcome but I have not got a design background and can only answer semi technical questions with regard to colour.

Fourty years selling decorative products on behalf of major manufacturers such as Permoglaze,Crown,Macphersons,Johnstones, Leyland,Sikkens & Sadolin. More recently in a merchant capacity I have been involved with Dulux, Farrow & Ball and Fired Earth products. I have recently commenced training in enviromentally friendly product ranges, such as vegatable oil paints and varnish.

PDA (Assoiciate Member)

H N C Business Management. Several In House achievement certificates for product training.

Ford Motor Company. Nissan, MOD, Home Office, The University of Sheffield, Local Goverment.