Painting & Wallpapering/Paint type

Hello,  I am building a mantel with crown molding and poplar for the top.  I want a very good finish on it.  What would be the proper paint to use?  Latex or oil base paint?  Thanks.

If you have access to satin sheen oil enamel that always leaves a nice hard finish. Draw backs to oil based enamel is the initial cost of a good brush (ox/natural bristle blend) and mineral spirits.  They do offer high performance acrylics that are designed for trim and are harder than previous acrylics. It's really your call with the brushes that you have and whether or not you can keep dust out of the finish for 6-8 hours with oil. look into Benjamin-Moore's Advance, it's a water based enamel with oils characteristics.

Painting & Wallpapering

Joseph Dutra

Specializing in problem solving paint issues with new construction and restorative coatings. I am familiar with most brands and also specialty products.

I started painting in 1979 followed by forming my own company in 1983. I have been working with both residential and commercial projects and enjoy both. Recently (4 years ago) I opened a shop in Pacific Grove, specializing in cabinet, door, and window finishes for new construction.

High school diploma