Painting & Wallpapering/Painting interior on rental apartment

Here is something we can save money on by doing myself.  Helping out the family.

The walls are all prepped with nail holes filled and sanded and then washed, so they are ready for painting.  It was formerly painted white/off white.  When I go into Home Depot or Lowes, though, I am overwhelmed by the variety of paints and primers.  

This apartment is for a rental, so we want something practical--not designer stuff.  :)  Durable but cheap.  So can you guide me with specific brand names.  Primer and one coat?  Or two coats of a certain brand?  What to do?  

We shop at either Home Depot or Lowes, so if you are familiar with the brands sold there, please give specifics.

I would use a self priming acrylic (waterbased) flat finish. I would also use one of their standard off whites that will be readily available for years to come. The standard whites should come pre-packaged (factory tinted) so that you can touch up years later without risk of mistinting by store workers. All factory packaged whites are available in different sheens so color remains true from walls to trim to baths, etc.

Painting & Wallpapering

Joseph Dutra

Specializing in problem solving paint issues with new construction and restorative coatings. I am familiar with most brands and also specialty products.

I started painting in 1979 followed by forming my own company in 1983. I have been working with both residential and commercial projects and enjoy both. Recently (4 years ago) I opened a shop in Pacific Grove, specializing in cabinet, door, and window finishes for new construction.

High school diploma