Painting & Wallpapering/painting brick

I recently saw on one of the home remodeling shows where they whitewashed interior brick around the fireplace. I like the look and feel it would brighten the room. I'd like to know what the procedure is. My guess is that you would water down the paint and just brush it on, and possibly wipe it off. That is just my visual of it. Also would latex paint be ok? I hate using oil based paint.

Hi Rhonda.  Without having seen the particular brick myself, please keep in mind that all I can do is speculate as far as what, exactly, you can do to achieve the look of the brick you saw.  That being said, I CAN tell you that it's very easy to whitewash brick by using a mixture of latex paint and water.  The precise amount of water really depends upon the effect you want to achieve.  My suggestion would be to start with about one cup's worth of your paint and mix it well with 2 parts water.  Apply it with a brush on one of the least visible areas.  This way, you can make any necessary changes as you go.  In the event the brick soaks up your whitewash too quickly or doesn't look, "painted" enough, you can always thicken it by adding more paint.  It's always a good idea though to start with the thinnest possible whitewash, since thickening it is an easy fix, but if you were to start with too thick of a whitewash for the look you're trying to achieve, there would be far less you could do to correct it, since the paint would have already soaked into the brick by then.  If and when you make any changes to thin or thicken your whitewash, keep record of it, so you know the precise amount of both water and paint in your whitewash, (in the event you need to make more in the future).  

To answer the rest of your question, yes, latex paint would work great.  I would definitely suggest a latex versus and oil-based for this, since you don't want to have to be using paint thinner or mineral spirits to thin your paint.  Before you start applying the whitewash, not only do you want to mask your floor well, but it's a good idea to put rags on your floor right up next to the brick.  Whitewashing can be messy, so the rags work well for soaking up drips to prevent the whitewash from pooling on your floor next to the brick.  Simply remove the rags when you're ready to paint the brick right next to the floor.  Also, it's best to work from top-down, since the whitewash will surely drip & run down your brick.  You can bruch out the drips as you go, and be sure to check and re-check for drips until the wash is dry.  \

It sounds like you were right on the money with your game plan.  Please let me know if you have any more questions and I wish you best of luck with your painting project.

Thank you,
Troy Stevens, Stelzer Painting Inc.

Painting & Wallpapering

troy stevens

Questions I could answer would be anything related to the preparation and painting of a house or building. This would include both interior and exterior painting for residential and commercial structures. I'm well-versed in all painting and staining applications, products and methods. Questions I couldn't answer would be primarily those related to automotive, industrial or marine painting.

I've been painting professionally for over 26 years and I've owned my own business, Stelzer Painting Inc., for more than 16 years now. We specialize in interior & exterior painting for residential & commercial clients, re-paints, remodels & new construction. I'm fully licensed, bonded and insured. I have hundreds of referrals from past customers, an A+ rating through the BBB, and an A rating on Angie's List.

-Better Business Bureau, A+ Rating -Angie's List, A Rating -Construction Contractor's Board Member, (#202027). -PDX Advisory Group Member. -Licensed General Contractor -Licensed RRP Firm

Publications -Blogger -Hubspot -Various social platforms.

-High School Diploma -Studied at Mt. Hood Community College, Lane Community College and University of Oregon. -Recently completed continuing education requirements for licensing through the Construction Contractor's Board. -RRP Certified for lead-based paint removal through the state of Oregon. -Although my Real Estate License has lapsed, I was a licensed Realtor for several years as well.

I've managed to maintain a perfect service record since beginning my business in 1998, with over 1,000 satisfied customers and no complaints. Professionally speaking, this is my proudest achievement.

Richard Swails: (503) 636-7377 Mr. & Mrs. Scott: (360) 718-8676 Lonnie Tongate: (971) 645-7285 On my website,, I also have a link to my referral list, which contains several hundreds more.