Painting & Wallpapering/Japan Drier

Question
Troy,I have an old quart of Sears oil paint [10 years] that is excellent in every way except I noticed it will remain sticky for several days before completely drying. I assume that is the age of the paint. Will Japan Drier resolve the problem of the long drying time and if so how much should I add? Thanks, Jack

Answer
Please forgive the delay Jack. Japan Drier should help, although without being able to look at the paint physically, I'm just giving you my best educated guess. Sometimes the drying agents in old oils deteriorate/evaporate over time, so the amount of drier I'd advise would be to start with the recommended quantity on your container, and if you don't see your desired results, you could probably add as much as 50% more than your directions specify.

For what it's worth Jack, I'd strongly suggest looking into some of these new water-based alkyds. They've come a long way since they first came out.  They look like oils, but they dry quickly, level and lay-out like an oil, but with the convenience of water-based clean-up. Benjamin Moore's Advance and Sherwin Williams new water-based Alkyd Pro Classic are my 2 favorite.  If you use either of them, you'll want to SLOW the drying process by using an extender, which will give you enough time to work with it while applying.

Good luck, happy painting, and let me know how it turns out please.  

Painting & Wallpapering

troy stevens