Painting & Wallpapering/paint colors

Hi!  We are building a house with an  open floor plan.  The living room, kitchen, and dining room (plus a small library area) can all be seen at once. I have an art background, but when it comes to decorating- yikes.  Should I pick a wall color for the whole layout, or should I use different palates to visually break it into sections?

Also, the ceiling is high in this part of the house (except the dining room.  How should I paint it?  White?   

If you know of any good online resource for choosing colors or any interior decorating please let me know.  Thank you,

Hi Tacy
thanks for your inquiry. I actually don't have time to answer in detail but bascially I'd say you do not have to do one color, however my suggestion would be go keep a similar saturation and brightness. Keep colors light to mid-range and just shift hues from room to room...and not even every room, or every wall, just the places you want to bring attention to.

Ceiling can be "white" or a variation of it. In some spaces you might even want ot do same as the wall color to minimize points of contrast and keep an open feeling.

Resource: try Kristie is a designer in Nashville with excellent tips. If you write to her let her know I said Hi!

If you do want specific consultation help I can do that, even long distance.
Good luck,

Painting & Wallpapering

Barbara Jacobs

I am able to answer questions about paint color and wall covering selection (interior and exterior, but in this category it's interior)and, in many cases, decorative ("faux") finishing for many types of surfaces. I can also answer some paint product and application questions but am primarily consulting about paint colors.I can also answer questions about Full Spectrum paints.

My experience as a color consultant is broad and includes a wide variety of color issues. Since 1984, I've been helping clients their very best environments using color as the foundation. My experience includes over 20 years in the field of creating and installing fine decorative finishes, and specifying paint colors.

IACC: International Association of Color Consultants/Designers: member since 1996, accredited since 2000. Historic District Commission: Medfield, Massachusetts

Journal of Architectural Coatings (magazine article, print) Design& - blog for this site (current) 2005 2008 2005 Boston Womens Business Jrnl. Subject of interviews and participation in interviews for other publications. Current: my own blog at

Academia di Belle Arti: Florence, Italy BA: University of Minnesota: focus: painting and printmaking University of California, Berkelely: painting department IACC: International Association of Color Consultants/Designers: Accredited member since 2000

IACC: international exhibit included four of my color design projects: 2010

Private clients. I prefer not to include names here, but many testimonials are available for viewing at my web site at the "testimonials" page.