Painting & Wallpapering/Wallpaper & popcorn ceiling

Question
Ed, I'm going to try to remove wallpaper and popcorn ceiling in a bedroom and bathroom. I plan on painting the walls and ceiling. Is it necessary to primer the drywall before painting? Thanks for your time.

Answer
Yes....When you remove wallpaper from the walls, try and wash off as much paste as possible.
Any major drywall scrapes (where the drywall was peeling off and the brown is showing), those areas should be sealed with Guardz or Zinzer  Primer (the clear latex sealer).
after that is dry, sand and skim coat those areas.
The walls should be primed with an oil primer.(that seals in any left over paste residue).
Or use a GOOD quality latex primer (Smart Prime is a good one).
For the ceilings, I'd suggest remove the popcorn, then seal the ceiling with Guardz and prime the ceiling.
Use 2 coats of paint on the walls and ceiling.
You should be good to go !!!

Painting & Wallpapering

Ed Kuchar