Painting & Wallpapering/Wallpaper & popcorn ceiling

Ed, I'm going to try to remove wallpaper and popcorn ceiling in a bedroom and bathroom. I plan on painting the walls and ceiling. Is it necessary to primer the drywall before painting? Thanks for your time.

Yes....When you remove wallpaper from the walls, try and wash off as much paste as possible.
Any major drywall scrapes (where the drywall was peeling off and the brown is showing), those areas should be sealed with Guardz or Zinzer  Primer (the clear latex sealer).
after that is dry, sand and skim coat those areas.
The walls should be primed with an oil primer.(that seals in any left over paste residue).
Or use a GOOD quality latex primer (Smart Prime is a good one).
For the ceilings, I'd suggest remove the popcorn, then seal the ceiling with Guardz and prime the ceiling.
Use 2 coats of paint on the walls and ceiling.
You should be good to go !!!

Painting & Wallpapering

Ed Kuchar

I've been a wallpaperhanger for 40 years. I've been a house painter (interior and exterior) for 38 years. I also do wallpaper removing and wall patching and light skim coating. I can answer any questions concerning: patching and wall preparation for painting or wallpaper, different types of paint, or wallpaper, what type to use for your job. questions about wallpaperhanging & painting how to measure an area for paint or wallpaper. questions concerning different types of wallpaper general questions on how to hang wallpaper (what type of paste, tools, etc.

I have my own wallpapering and painting business. Blue Sky Paperhanging & Painting Inc. I've been doing paperhanging & painting for 30 years. Most of my experience is in residential and not commercial.

Better Business Bureau.

I did the wallpaperhanging on the movie set "My Own Private Idaho" 1991.

I learned how to hang wall paper and wallcoverings at the West Valley Occupational School in Van Nuys California in 1978.