Painting & Wallpapering/Exterior Paint Colors

Question
front porch
front porch  

entire house
entire house  
Hi Laura,

I was wondering if you could help us with an exterior paint color decision.  I painted my parents house and am in the final days.  We are at a stand still on the final added touches for paint.  We painted the siding a light grayish blue: Cloudy Sky from Benjamin Moore.  We painted the window/ door frames and fascia/ soffit a brown called Mink from Benjamin Moore.  We chose a cream called Natural Wicker from Benjamin Moore for the windows.  And finally a dark blue called Vermont Slate for the shutters.

We all agree on those.  But we are having trouble with the porch in front of the door.  Right now the posts are Mink(brown), with the Natural Wicker(cream) in the middle.  And the Vermont Slate(dark blue) on a triangle section of the porch.

My parents love the porch how it is.  But I think it had far too much going on and looks rather clownish.  My sister and I would prefer to have the entire porch just the Mink(brown).  Maybe leave the middle/ top of porch Natural Wicker(cream) like it is now.  Or do it all brown.  I would rather play it safe because we are putting the house on the market in the spring. The house is in Chicago.  

Another option I was thinking about was to do the porch all brown and do either the outside storm door or front door the dark blue Vermont Slate.  So that the shutters have something to compliment it.

Thank you for your help. I left a couple pics attached.

Jim

Answer
Typically that amount of colors is called a "painted lady" Typically done on Victorian homes. I think your right on saying to many colors. Pick one from what you already have. You don't want it to look "clownish"

Affordable Luxury Painting and Remodeling
630-664-4333
www.aluxurypainting.com

Painting & Wallpapering

Laura Mesich