Painting & Wallpapering/exterior painting

Question
hi Ed, I live in a single story Stucco home in central florida, I am having painting estimates, some of the contractors are saying they favor spray and backroll, where I perfer Just Rolling, what say you? I am looking at Sherwin Williams Duration, home was built in 2003 and painted with SW SuperPaint, typical stucco cracks as well.
some of the contractors are asking for money up front I disagree with that, what say you?  should I have a Sealer used prior to painting? some contractors are suggesting that.  Home is 1700 sq feet.   thanks for your advice.

Answer
I live in Oregon. The weather may be a  little different here.
I have rolled houses (small ones not 2 story ones) (whatever the homeowner prefers).
What I like to do is spray & backroll. That way it get into all the tiny cracks, etc.
Depending on the contractor and they type of the house, generally speaking, spray & backroll may be a financially better option for you.
Just make sure when they spray, they backroll everything, to get the paint into the dracks, etc,
Spraying is just an easier option of getting the paint onto the house.....then brush & backroll.
If there are any eaves, make sure they are brushed in with a brush.
What we do, is cover up the bushes, flowers, windows, doors, pavements, etc with plastic and/or drop cloths. We have the owner move any cars nearby.
Then we spray a section of the house (that gets the paint on the house) and then we backroll (so as to get into the small cracks, etc.
On eaves, we spray and then brush the paint in.
Most painters I know spray & backroll....Each painter has his/her preference.
We just use a primer/sealer if it is bare wood. Id suggest you talk to your Sherwin Williams
paint store  and see what they say for your situation.
As for pay, get references, (from friends, paint stores, etc) make sure they are licensed, etc.
I usually ask to ge paid in thirds 1/3 upfront, 1/3 half, 1/3 on completion.
Make sure you have a contract and everything in writing so there won't be any misunderstandings later.
Ed  

Painting & Wallpapering

Ed Kuchar