Painting & Wallpapering/Honeycomb cracks in paint on new plaster

Question
Basically had thro lounge and walk in kitchen replastered. Primed half with plaster primer and was told to leave other half by painter who would mist coat it.
First coat on everywhere great no probs, second proper coat of matt white ok no probs, third coat, no probs where mist coat applied on new plaster but where primer applied honeycomb cracks have appeared everywhere.
Did painter apply last coat too early because he put two coats on in same day?
How do I fix this problem please

Regards

Eddie

Answer
Eddie,

You don't specify what type of plaster primer was used, I am going to presume it was oil or pva based, as this would explain the effect you are observing.  

A mist coat which is contract emulsion thinned by 50% water, followed by two coats of a contract emulsion perhaps thinned by 10% water is the correct way to treat new plaster. I don't think two coats of emulsion in one day is not the problem.

If you have sealed the new plaster and are not allowing moisture vapour permiability then unfortunately there is no magical surface finish that can cure the problem.  It is possible to coat with a high build coating, but that doesn't cure the underlying problem of efflorescence which has to come to the  surface.

The only recommendation is to remove the coatings back to the plaster and then proceed with 1 mist and 2 coats.

Hope this helps.

Tony.  

Painting & Wallpapering

Tony Gallagher