Painting & Wallpapering/wallpaper

Ed, I would like to re-do my kitchen and one wall of my living room that has wallpaper-the other walls have paint. I have been told that removing the old wallpaper in order to paint could be more costly and time consuming, as it could be a messier job as the paper from the drywall could be inadvertantly removed,the surface might have to get prepped, etc so its better to just paper over the old paper. Do you agree?

If the old wallpaper is on tight, I would suggest to hang over the old wallpaper.
If not, it should be removed, but as you said it might create a mess.
That is patching and skim coating the walls.
So, I would test a  spot with a wet sponge, and see if it doesn't start to come loose in
a minute or 2, I'd suggest hanging over the old wallpaper.

Painting & Wallpapering

Ed Kuchar

I've been a wallpaperhanger for 40 years. I've been a house painter (interior and exterior) for 38 years. I also do wallpaper removing and wall patching and light skim coating. I can answer any questions concerning: patching and wall preparation for painting or wallpaper, different types of paint, or wallpaper, what type to use for your job. questions about wallpaperhanging & painting how to measure an area for paint or wallpaper. questions concerning different types of wallpaper general questions on how to hang wallpaper (what type of paste, tools, etc.

I have my own wallpapering and painting business. Blue Sky Paperhanging & Painting Inc. I've been doing paperhanging & painting for 30 years. Most of my experience is in residential and not commercial.

Better Business Bureau.

I did the wallpaperhanging on the movie set "My Own Private Idaho" 1991.

I learned how to hang wall paper and wallcoverings at the West Valley Occupational School in Van Nuys California in 1978.