Painting & Wallpapering/painting over ceiling stain

hello, Ed, pleased to meet you!

MY problem:
 Out of nowhere, a tan stain appeared on the ceiling of my living room.The stain is not directly below the second floor bathroom. We continue to use the bathroom regularly.
The stain is now about two weeks old; it has not increased nor decreased in size.
It was not, and is not now, damp or wet.

Today, I painted over the stain with white latex paint, using a brush.
Within 5-15 minutes, the stain has re-appeared.

Could the stain appear because of a leak in the house wall? When the stain appeared, there had been some heavy rain weather. But in the last few weeks, the weather has been sunny and dry, which would explain why the stain has not gotten worse.

What should be my next step?

Thanks for listening, and thanks for your advice.

I would suggest getting a moister meter make sure there is no moisture in the stain. Make sure it is dry.
Then use some spray primer or roll on some oil based primer.
After it is dry.
Spray oil primer takes about 10 minutes oil primer in a can takes about a few hours to dry.
Paint with two coats of paint and that should do it.  Good luck

Painting & Wallpapering

Ed Kuchar

I've been a wallpaperhanger for 40 years. I've been a house painter (interior and exterior) for 38 years. I also do wallpaper removing and wall patching and light skim coating. I can answer any questions concerning: patching and wall preparation for painting or wallpaper, different types of paint, or wallpaper, what type to use for your job. questions about wallpaperhanging & painting how to measure an area for paint or wallpaper. questions concerning different types of wallpaper general questions on how to hang wallpaper (what type of paste, tools, etc.

I have my own wallpapering and painting business. Blue Sky Paperhanging & Painting Inc. I've been doing paperhanging & painting for 30 years. Most of my experience is in residential and not commercial.

Better Business Bureau.

I did the wallpaperhanging on the movie set "My Own Private Idaho" 1991.

I learned how to hang wall paper and wallcoverings at the West Valley Occupational School in Van Nuys California in 1978.