Painting & Wallpapering/Staining ceiling over whitewash

We recently moved into a house with a white wood cathedral ceiling.  You can still see the grain of the wood.  Not sure what to call the treatment.  We would really like to have a ceiling that looks like stained wood--with some wood grain showing.  Short of replacing the ceiling,  what are our options?

We have refinished many wood ceilings in the past such as yours and unfortunately the most effective way of removing previous stains is through sand blasting.  If you would like to see wood grain in new finish you must remove existing one, any pigment that hides the whitewash will also cover grain and give a painted look.

Painting & Wallpapering

Joseph Dutra

Specializing in problem solving paint issues with new construction and restorative coatings. I am familiar with most brands and also specialty products.

I started painting in 1979 followed by forming my own company in 1983. I have been working with both residential and commercial projects and enjoy both. Recently (4 years ago) I opened a shop in Pacific Grove, specializing in cabinet, door, and window finishes for new construction.

High school diploma