Painting & Wallpapering/Painting vinyl walls in manufactured home

Question
Hi Ed - my husband and I have a 1996 manufactured home that has vinyl walls in the bathrooms.  One of them was previously painted and the other has never been painted.  We are wanting to paint these bathrooms but are not sure about how to prep the walls - especially the one bathroom that was previously painted.  I don't think the previously painted bathroom was prepped properly because the paint comes off very easily.  We would appreciate your advice.  Thank you for your time.

Answer
I'd suggest peel (or scrape) off the paint that comes off in the bathroom that was painted.
Then scuff up (sand) the surfaces of the 2 bathrooms a little.
Apply a bonding agent (Guardz or Zinzer All Prime) Which is basically a paint primer.
I'd suggest doing a test spot and let dry for 24 hrs.... If you can't scrape it off with your fingernail, you are good to go.
It if does not seem to adhere to the plastic, I'd suggest a shellac based or oil based primer.

Painting & Wallpapering

Ed Kuchar