You are here:

Painting & Wallpapering/wallpaper over siding


I have a room that was originally a screen porch with the exterior vertical cedar paneling on the walls and ceiling. I have just converted it and another room into a first floor master suite. The contractor left one wall of one room and the ceiling paneled and covered the grooves and seams of the vertical siding with drywall mud. After that began showing the seams, he taped them with drywall tape and mudded them again.Now the seams are beginning to show again. The only idea he has for the ceiling is putting sheet rock over the paneling, which will be fine if we don't have problems with the seams opening. The wall we haven't come up with a solution for. We can't just add dry wall as there is a window and a door that would be affected and the design makes that impractical.
I have a heavily textured wall paper in my dining room with a vertical design on it and wondered if that would be sufficient to hide the seams of the paneling. The only other thing I can think of is a technique I used on another wall where the dry wall kept cracking at the bottom edge of a square window that was mounted sideways in a diamond pattern. I used torn wallpaper liner and Zinzer overlapping layers and the crack has never reappeared. The effect if you use wallpaper paste with a colored paint (I used gray) is rather like stacked stone. I've also did a wall with no color so it is just all white and looks like an unidentifiable textured wall. The technique actually looks better where there is no window or door involved.
Do you have any ideas of what would be a better solution for either the ceiling and/or the wall? Of course, we are concerned about it holding up over time as we don't want to have to be continually redoing or repairing it.
Thanks for any help you can give me.Rubye

From what you described to me, I think I would :

1- Hang a heavy lining paper (almost all are paintable ) and paint over the lining paper.

2-  or there are a couple of textured paper products (anaglypta is one).
 they are a heavy embossed wallpaper made to paint over. They come in many different patterns & designs .
 and are made for problem walls.
 If a small crack does show thru in time, you probably could get some caulking (caulking is rubbery
  stretches in cracks over time so it won't re crack ). Caulk over the crack.

  Hope that information helps

Painting & Wallpapering

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ed Kuchar


I've been a wallpaperhanger for 40 years. I've been a house painter (interior and exterior) for 38 years. I also do wallpaper removing and wall patching and light skim coating. I can answer any questions concerning: patching and wall preparation for painting or wallpaper, different types of paint, or wallpaper, what type to use for your job. questions about wallpaperhanging & painting how to measure an area for paint or wallpaper. questions concerning different types of wallpaper general questions on how to hang wallpaper (what type of paste, tools, etc.


I have my own wallpapering and painting business. Blue Sky Paperhanging & Painting Inc. I've been doing paperhanging & painting for 30 years. Most of my experience is in residential and not commercial.

Better Business Bureau.

I did the wallpaperhanging on the movie set "My Own Private Idaho" 1991.

I learned how to hang wall paper and wallcoverings at the West Valley Occupational School in Van Nuys California in 1978.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]