Panama/Beach Bungalows

Hello Dianne,
I am a 59 year old, Caucasian, single male living in Tennessee U.S.A. I am searching to rent a super economical beach bungalow in Florida or the Carribbean area,(for the sake of cheaper airfare), for a couple of weeks or a month every year or so, during the worst of Winter weather...nothing fancy, just a hut or bungalow on or near the beach where I can relax, fish, read, and catch up on stuff and stay warm. I will be by myself. Not into night life, the club scene, or woman chasing. Just a simple, no frills or luxuries, primitive stay where I can get cheap eats, stay warm, and rest, but in a safe location.
I've found bungalows for low as $10.00/night on Corn Island, Nicaragua and beach bungalows in India for the same price, but I fear either getting robbed or the possibility of having someone plant drugs on me because they might dislike Americans, and then the nightmare or possibility of dealing with their legal systems and possibly a long prison stay.
Can you provide me with any recommendations or provide information on any links, books, etc. that would help me with what I have described above; preferrably in a country which utilizes a legal system as used in America?
I checked on airfares to some neat bungalows in Thailand but round trip would cost $1600.00. I think maybe Florida or the Carribbean area might be best economically.

Thank you greatly.

Mike E.

Hi Mike,
First off, I think Panama is an excellent location for what you want to do.Mainly because its safe , cheap and well located in terms of flying from the US.
I would say to you what I say to 95% of the people who write to me re moving here (whether it's for a short time or longer). You must visit here first before expending any significant time or money into a longer commitment. Things simply bear little resemblance to how they are presented on the internet. This would apply even MORE so for Asia.(I have lived there too)
It's certainly doable ( $10 a night is a bit of a stretch) but come visit first, see if you actually WANT to be here for a longer time or repeatedly. There are some nice beaches...nothing to write home about but then again I am Australian (so I am prejudiced!...too many great beaches where I come from).
Come visit..spend a week or two wandering about the country.The highlands are beautiful too! You will have a much better idea of what you really can and want to do after that.
very best y buena suerte!
Dianne Heidke

Dianne Heidke

I can answer questions about living in Boquete, Panama. Interested in moving to the area or spending more time than just as a tourist? You don't need to become an expert yourself but you will need more specific answers than a general guidebook can provide. I can field many queries re geography,weather,getting about,visas,local government,health options,construction,real estate and processes,Jubilado discounts,and much more.

I have been living in Boquete for the past 6 years, have started and run various businesses there. I established and continue to run the Tuesday Morning Meeting which is a weekly information sharing resource and farmer's market in Boquete.

The Tuesday Morning Meeting - Boquete,Panama. Cloud Forest Botanicals - Boquete,Panama.

The Bajareque Times . Boquete.Panama

BA/LLB Australia - Attorney CEO - The Zapadora,Potrerillos,Panama Partner in Cloud Forest Botanicals - Organic plant medicinals and cosmetics. Professional Artist. Pilot Author: The Boquete(Not for Tourists!)Handbook - The Insider's Guide to Surviving Life in Boquete." 2010.Amazon kindle.

Supreme Ruler - The Zapadora,.S.A.