Panama/Registered Nurse USA Trainned PICC

Hello and Thank You,

I am a registered nurse that specializes in PICC line placement, I would like to practice and possibly teach in Panama.  I live aboard my sail boat and plan on being there in November,  Thoughts ?

Hello--Medical practitioners are strictly regulated in Panama. There are very powerful unions that govern who can and cannot practice. Bottom line, there is no simple answer to your question. You would need to actually be here in Panama, apply for permanent residency status, get a work permit, make connections and then you MIGHT be able to find a clinic or hospital or medical school that would allow you to practice Speaking fluent is imperative. A couple of years ago, a new visa category opened to attract foreign medical personnel to serve in the interior of the country. The doctors and nurses in Panama went on strike for over a month and the law/regulations were modified. As I said, you would need to be here, get a competent lawyer who specializes in immigration and work related issues. It is not straightforward.

Good luck.

Elizabeth Worley  

Elizabeth Worley

I can answer most general questions about: 1. Vacation planning in Chiriqui and Boquete, including references for hotels, restaurants, guides, tour operators, etc. 2. Questions pertaining to alternative and traditional health care. 3. Cost of living and retirement related issues 4. How-to questions about purchasing real estate, getting a driver's license, where to buy things, what to do (and NOT do) in construction.

I have lived in the Chiriqui highlands of Panama, just outside Boquete, for 8 years. I can answer most questions about residency requirements, immigrations, purchasing real estate in an ethical and safe manner, health care availability (traditional and alternative), planning a vacation, tours and sightseeing, references for hotels, restaurants, service providers, etc. I grow organic coffee, so I can definitely answer questions about coffee!

Atlanta Journal/Constitution Sunday supplement Reader's Digest Southern Living Panama Living Noticias Bajareque Times Panama 180

Master's degree in Psychology. In addition to having a private counseling practice and working for many years in the non-profit sector, I am a nationally and internationally published author.