Panic Disorders/Attacks/Major anxiety/panic problem

Hello Ms. Tilmouth,

I have just completed another year of college, which I'm glad to be done with. The last few weeks were extremely stressful with exams and essays, and then a close relative of mine died. Now I've moved back to my house, and unpacking everything from my apartment is proving difficult because I have sinus infection/stress from everything else.

I write this because once one thing irks me, it turns into a bit of a snowball effect. You see, in about a month I am travelling to the Middle East because I was asked to speak at a conference. With my stress/anxiety, this makes the looming trip particularly daunting. I actually love to travel, and I love flying. I've done it probably more times than most people my age. However my brain tells me that I ought to be terrified and so as a result whenever I have anxiety, I get this constant sensation of nausea. Usually once I get this feeling it's guaranteed I'll throw up.

This vomiting symptom I get is awful, and it prevents me from doing the things I want to do in life, and I don't know what to do anymore. I have a month till the trip, but for a few weeks now my brain races at night thinking of all these bad things that could happen on the trip, and then I get panic attacks, and then I get nauseous.

Do you know what causes this? I've talked to many people with anxiety, but never anyone who throws up every time they have a panic attack. I wish I knew what it was that caused this problem, because if I did know- maybe I could start to get some answers.

I am really excited to visit the Middle East, and it's only for about a week. But I'm horrified at the same time at the prospect of travelling there even when I love flying. This is ridiculous. What should I do?

PS I have had a history of anxiety since I was ten- I'm twenty now. The anxiety probably stems from the nearly-terminal illness I had when I was a child.

As with any medical condition there is never a quick simple answer and so it is impossible for me to provide you with all the answers you require via the internet.

what i can say is that i suffered from panic attacks for many years when I was in my late teens and I know just how awful it can be. i never threw up instead i just thought i was was going to pass out everytime.

There are several things going on here causing your anxiety.

Firstly during your teen years etc your body is going through major changes and this includes your brain. Chemicals surging around often creating highs and lows and for some people these highs can feel like anxiety. the chemicals involved increase your heart rate, breathing etc and these are what causes panic attacks. understanding what panic attacks actually are is your first step to beating them, once you realise it is just a chemical reaction and one that is very temporary (your body cannot keep up the chemical flow for long) you will find that this knowledge in itself will start to help you over come them.  Please read my page here for more on this

One of the main things you need to do is to take control of your breathing when you are having a panic attack. this in itself will help to stop the attack, a relaxed body cannot also be panicky it is impossible. You need to practice these breathing exercises even when you are not having an attack, the better you become at them the more effective and quicker they will work for your. Please see her for how to do this

It sounds to me like you need to build into your life some me time. This is so important and one that most of us forget to do. your body needs to recharge to remain strong and more bale to cope with life stresses, this includes your mind too. So yes i know people go on about relaxation etc but believe me your body and mind need it, just like it needs to eat food.

My site is full of stress relief techniques which help people to manage stress and lead a more relaxed life, may I suggest that you spend some time looking through it and put into place some form of relaxation into your own daily life, it is important especially when life becomes a bit of a challenged.

perhaps start with these pages

Panic attacks start in the mind and unfortunately we as you know can be our own worst enemy for triggering them. But please do not worry, when I thought my life would always be filled will panic i could see no light at the end of the tunnel. But there is and i haven't had an attack for over 20 years now.

best wishes and enjoy your trip, it sounds very exciting. Perhaps think of your feelings of anxiety as excitement instead, it can put a whole new perspective on things.

best wishes Kate

Panic Disorders/Attacks

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most stress related questions, including Anxiety and Panic attacks, PTSD and general stress related issues. My main aim is to provide you with techniques and information regarding how best you can manage your stress levels on a day to day basis and so reduce effects such as Physical or emotional illness which can arise when stress is not managed. I am not able to give advice about medical conditions which need treatment from a doctor, such as heart conditions etc.

I was a suffer of Panic Attacks myself for many years and have a good understanding of how debilitating they can be. I am a qualified Stress Advisor (RCN accredited and CPD certificated). I have had many years in the public sector and am very client focused. My main aim is to provide concise, clear help and information to those seeking help managing their stress levels and any other related concerns. I also run my own stress relief web site

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles

RCN accredited (stress Advisor) CPD certificated Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.

Currently work as a freelance stress advisor for my local area, many of my client are referred to me via the local health service.