Panic Disorders/Attacks/dependent personality disorder

Question
I have been diagnosed with dependent personality disorder. They tell me it will take years to achieve total independence. I've been doing all the right things..as a result, I have a lot of fear and anxiety. I feel it the most when I have to go out in public alone (or to a dr appt alone..as the goal is to try to get used to doing thing son my own) I also feel strong fear when I am at home by myself.  I am taking Klonopin but it doesn't seem to help.. I was also on ativan and that didn't help.  any advice you c an give me is appreciated

Answer
Linda,
I have never heard of dependent personality disorder but I would figure it would be about the same as "separation anxiety". First of all remember.... I am not a doctor so I can only give you my opinion. I do not have very much to go on as I do not have but just a tiny bit of information. I do not even know your age. Here is what I can say!
Along the way as we are growing up, we depend on our parents to care for us. We are totally dependent on them or, whoever is raising us. Then we become "of age" and all of the sudden...we are expected to act "grown up"..."Mature"...etc.
If life goes "As it should" so to speak... We seem to adapt and get along, go out into the world... get some education, work a job, have a family, relationship...and so on.

If you find that you just do not seem to fit in that scenario then, it may be because something along the way, in your life...threw out some STOPS! Indicators that told you, You can not do this alone! For me, it was the death of my best friend when I was 12. My parents just did not communicate with me on it and I had to go it alone. I started having panic attacks and that was back when they knew NOTHING about them.
That started a chain of reactions in my life and, I did not want to be alone as I had developed "separation anxiety". The awful part about that was...it was not until Many years later that I put all of the pieces together and figured out what happened to me. It is not "natural" to not feel comfort in our own skin. If you do not feel that comfort then, there is a reason. Do you trust yourself? Do you feel anxious all of the time because you feel you must attach yourself to someone?
If you want to share a little more information, I might can help you a little more. Please include a little about you and your life and I might can lead you in another direction.
I am here if you need me!
Blessings,
Carolina  

Panic Disorders/Attacks

Carolina