Panic Disorders/Attacks/waves of anxiety

Hello, thank you for taking the time to advise and help people. My question is as follows. I am anxious by nature. I was a very anxious child, and now as an adult I find that when I think about certain topics I feel very strong waves of panic, I always manage to keep them inside, and drinking helps alleviate the feeling.  However everyone in my family,  save for me, has been in theraly and a parent and sibling have suffered severe mental breakdowns resulting in a long lasting change in personality and behavior. I havealways managed to keep my anxiety completely on the inside, but being now married I am wondering if these waves of anxiety are a problem and what I could do about it. ( my wife doesn't like mydrinking as much as I have been) any advice would be great

Well the fact that you yourself are thinking that this problem may now need to be treated is a big red signal to you that yes you should seek some help. If you need to drink to stay calm and feel less anxious then yes it has got to the stage where if you do not do something about it now the problem will possibly escalate.

When i suffered from severe anxiety during my early 20's I would drink to calm myself down. It was a temporary fix which only led to other complications due to the alcohol. You need to get to the root of the problem before you can start to recover from it. In your case yes i think you should seek some talking therapy first. This is very successful and an important step in overcoming your anxiety. Speak to your doctor about this, they will be able to put you into contact with the right people.

The first step is always the hardest. it gets a lot easier afterwards and believe me the feeling of relief is well worth it. I dont know where I would be today if my anxiety had continued the way it was, i dread to think.

Good luck and stay positive, there is a way through.

best wishes Kate

Panic Disorders/Attacks

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most stress related questions, including Anxiety and Panic attacks, PTSD and general stress related issues. My main aim is to provide you with techniques and information regarding how best you can manage your stress levels on a day to day basis and so reduce effects such as Physical or emotional illness which can arise when stress is not managed. I am not able to give advice about medical conditions which need treatment from a doctor, such as heart conditions etc.

I was a suffer of Panic Attacks myself for many years and have a good understanding of how debilitating they can be. I am a qualified Stress Advisor (RCN accredited and CPD certificated). I have had many years in the public sector and am very client focused. My main aim is to provide concise, clear help and information to those seeking help managing their stress levels and any other related concerns. I also run my own stress relief web site

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles

RCN accredited (stress Advisor) CPD certificated Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.

Currently work as a freelance stress advisor for my local area, many of my client are referred to me via the local health service.