Panic Disorders/Attacks/Scared I have diabetes, I also have panic disorder

Hello, my name is Kev and I am a 25 year old male with hypertension and panic disorder/generalized anxiety.  I have become very concerned recently as I have developed a numbness above my right toe that has gone on for several months. The numbness has not spread or increased, and is about the size of a cigarette lighter in diameter.

About two years ago I did a glucose fasting test and got a 92, however about one year ago I had a panic attack and went to the emergency room. My glucose reading "NON-FASTING" was 136 as I had drank cranberry juice and eaten pizza only an hour or two beforehand. I was concerned about this but the doctor said he wasn't worried since it was a non-fasting test and I was having a panic attack.

Two quick questions

1) Does this area of numbness sound more like possible diabetes, or merely some sort of nerve issue unrelated? I often sit cross legged and admit that I spend alot of time in front of a computer.

2) Are any of my diabetes test results particularly alarming? Does this sound like diabetes?

Thank you

Hi Kev,

As to the numbness in the toe, I suggest you see a doctor about this. If you had a test for diabetes and this proved to be negative, you can accept that you are not diabetic. This does not exclude the possibility that you may have hypoglycemia (, which is a pre-diabetic condition. That could also be responsible for your anxiety attacks.  Hypoglycemia can be treated without recourse to drugs by adopting he hypoglycemic diet (

Please read:

Beating Anxiety and Phobias  
and discuss with our doctor.

You should have excellent nutritional doctors available in the new York area ho should be able to assist you, if problem do not get better.

Let me know how you are getting along?

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist.
Emeritus Editor of
The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia.
Author of "Getting off the Hook"
Freely available at Google Book Search
Skype: jurplesman
Also at Facebook for more questions:

Panic Disorders/Attacks

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Nutritional Psychotherapy of various mood disoders

Editor of the Hypoglycemic health Association of Australia

web site;

Author of the book:
"Getting off the Hook", It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. Various articles in the Hypoglycemic Health Association's Newsletters

BA (Psych) Sydney University; Post Grad Dip Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)