Panic Disorders/Attacks/Night-time Anxiety

I wasn't sure where to send this to but I'm hoping this is the right place. I'll start with an overview.

Over the past month I've been experiencing panic attacks on and off whenever I try to sleep. I feel anxious to go to bed and on some nights even discussing bed or sleep can make me feel nauseous or anxious. My doctor put me on to calming pills, and a few nights ago I lessened the dosage from 2 pills to 1 and I was completely fine. The other night I tried to go without a pill, and I felt like I was back to square one. I slept, uncomfortably after taking a pill at 11pm at night. Since then I haven't been able to sleep consistently, with or without pills as every time I try, I find myself to be incredibly anxious for no apparent reason. My mind seems to be in a constant whirl and relaxation is difficult. I really just want to be able to sleep normally and fix this night-time anxiety. Throughout the day I am absolutely fine, and nothing in my life causes me any great distress. I don't smoke or drink at all just to be clear.

Your help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi Craig,

There are all sorts of reasons why people may experience sleeplessness and insomnia. One of the major causes is hypoglycemia (or pre-diabetic insulin resistance) (

This can be treated by going on a hypoglycemic diet (

Please read:

Biochemistry of Insomnia

An immediate remedy, but not a cure is taking glycerine that is obtainable from a health food store. See:

I hope I have been of some help.

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist.
Emeritus Editor of
The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia.
Author of "Getting off the Hook"
Freely available at Google Book Search
Skype: jurplesman
Also at Facebook for more questions:

Panic Disorders/Attacks

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Nutritional Psychotherapy of various mood disoders

Editor of the Hypoglycemic health Association of Australia

web site;

Author of the book:
"Getting off the Hook", It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. Various articles in the Hypoglycemic Health Association's Newsletters

BA (Psych) Sydney University; Post Grad Dip Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)