Panic Disorders/Attacks/Zoloft

I have panic disorder.  I have tried Buspar and Xanax, and Ativan.  Also have been on beta blockers, but I am so sensitive to the medication and side effects.  I am now on 6.25 mg of Zoloft per day. I started on 25mg but could not take the side effects.  This small amount has stopped the spontaneous panic attacks and taken the edge off of the anxiety.  I have been on it for a month now and I am also using a light box for 1 hour a day.  I know that Zoloft has to build up in your body.  Will this small dose eventually build up to a level that will stop the panic and anxiety?  I know it will take longer probably to hit a good level because of the small dose.  Can you give me any other ideas to help?  I started having the panic attacks during a time when I was very low on magnesium.  I am now also on 800mg of magnesium per day.

Hi Gina,
Questions as to the medications you are asking should be referred to your doctor. I am trying to help people overcome mood disorders without resort to drug and by nutritional means. To treat anxiety please read:

Beating Anxiety and Phobias  

And discuss with your doctor.

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist.
Emeritus Editor of
The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia.
Author of "Getting off the Hook"
Freely available at Google Book Search
Skype: jurplesman
Also at Facebook for more questions:

Panic Disorders/Attacks

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Nutritional Psychotherapy of various mood disoders

Editor of the Hypoglycemic health Association of Australia

web site;

Author of the book:
"Getting off the Hook", It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. Various articles in the Hypoglycemic Health Association's Newsletters

BA (Psych) Sydney University; Post Grad Dip Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)